6 Dog Products We HATE And Why

Lickety Stik

If you didn’t already know by now, I am a discerning pet owner dog mom.

What does that mean?

It means that I do my research. It means that I am picky about what I give to my boy. It means that I don’t let cute marketing campaigns decide what I give to my dog.

Today I want to share with you 6 products that I HATE for dogs and why.


Lickety Stik

The Petsafe Lickety Stik

Sorry, Petsafe, but the Lickety Stik is not going to be found in our house.

In fact, there are VERY FEW Petsafe products that I’m a fan of. I am a firm believer in positive reinforcement training and only around 1% of their training products fit into that category. Then there is their underground fencing which is just….no. So the only Petsafe brand products that I can really say that I do like are their tech products for pets, their leashes and harnesses, and their pet clothing.

Anyway, back to the Lickety Stik.

Although great in theory, there have been multiple accounts of the rollerball on these flavor sticks coming loose and being swallowed. Talk about scary! How exactly do you wrestle a slippery marble-like ball from your dog that is covered in delicious bacon flavoring before it slips down their throat? Yes, the chances are that if the ball comes off it will roll on to the floor and not into your dog’s mouth, but we’re not taking any chances.




In 2006 issues these popular dental treats made headlines due to their causing blockages and being indigestible to dogs. Now, to be fair, since then Greenies has changed their formula and they are supposed to be much more digestible BUT they still look and feel plastic-like and I just don’t trust them. I much prefer going the route of raw meaty bones for teeth cleaning.


Dangerous Dog Toys

Photo credit: Vergi 24/7

Any toy with a single hole a la Kong Beast

If you follow any social media accounts related to dogs, then the chances are that you saw the story of Maximus the rottweiler who got his tongue lodged inside a Kong Beast toy and ended up having to be euthanized. (Note, I’m not including pictures from that incident because they truly are devastating, instead, this is Rooney, another dog who experienced the same problem with a more fortunate outcome.)

Dog toys like the ball on the Kong Beast toy that have only one hole allow for suction of the tongue and once that toy gets lodged on the tongue it can be impossible to remove without surgical intervention.

Now, there are some who say that owner error is to blame for these incidents, but regardless of whether or not unsupervised play or play with a broken toy is the cause, the simple fact of the matter is that NO dog toy should be capable of doing such damage.

Suction should be taken into account when making toys that are designed for dog play – they are OBVIOUSLY going to be in or around the dog’s mouth.



The Everlasting Treat Ball

The Starmark Everlasting Treat Ball is another dog treat based toy that is on my list because the treat within the toy has a tendency to pop out and cause a choking hazard.

While many owners who have had their dog pop the treat out of the toy have said that the dog was unable to swallow the whole thing and choke, the prospect is still there and it is one we would much rather not be.

On top of that, the treat in the toy is as artificial looking as Greenies and I’d much rather go with a peanut butter filled frozen Kong.


Virbac CET Chews

CET Dental Cleaning Rawhide Chips or ANY Rawhide Chips

This is actually something we have firsthand experience with.

These treated rawhide strips are recommended for dental health but like many rawhide “chips” they soon become soggy and slippery once chewed.

We were given one of these to try by a veterinary tech a few years ago. Against my better judgement (read: ignoring my concerns over choking) I allowed Jet to eat it while he was iced down after his hydrotherapy session. I sat watching him while he ate it as he had his knee iced. Well, after a few minutes of chewing and getting the chip of rawhide nice and slippery, my boy had the FULL PIECE lodged in his throat and was gasping. The vet tech at the time was oblivious as to what was going on because she was at his back end holding the ice pack on his knee. Without thinking, I put my hand in Jet’s mouth and had to reach DOWN HIS THROAT to retrieve the piece of rawhide. Had it been just an inch lower he would have been in trouble. As it was, I could feel the muscles of his throat closing around my hand as I reached in and grabbed the rawhide with my fingertips. Needless to say, Jet has not had ANY type of rawhide chip since then, but the memory is as vivid as if it had happened just yesterday.




Firstly – nylon. NYLON.

Yes, the packaging of Nylabones claims that these products should not be ingested, but anything designed to be chewed is likely going to be ingested to some degree.

I don’t know about you, but I’m not going to eat nylon and I’m not about to feed it to my dog either.

Secondly – this is another product we have experience with and that experience is not good.

Nylabones are tough, they’re designed that way to withstand chewing, but this density has led to more chipped, fractured, and broken teeth than you can count. At 3 years old, Jet became just one of the thousands of dogs who have chipped teeth as a result of Nylabone. His top right carnassial tooth (that really big fourth premolar)

At 3 years old, Jet became just one of the thousands of dogs who have damaged teeth as a result of Nylabone. His top right carnassial tooth (that really big fourth premolar) fractured straight down the middle, something that had to be incredibly painful for him and something that banned Nylabones from our house forever.


I hope you can take something away from today’s article. Do you have any toys or products that you ban in your household? Leave a comment and share!

Previous What to Do When You Need Help Affording Your Dog
Next 5 Dog Products We LOVE And Why!

No Comment

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *